Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cut Paper Bugs: Part 1

Well, I found this website and was dying to try this with my 8th graders. I feel that sometimes the kids lose the idea of the project because they are so caught up in "I don't know what to draw" mode. So... I went with the "Insect" part of the blog, which I thought had enough variety but which had some restraints to keep them from going crazy from all of the options that a subject like "all animals" or "flowers" would bring. They took to this project much better than the last time I tried this "cut paper" project, because this time, we had just come out of a project which emphasized "positive and negative space".

So besides the "Positive and Negative Space" lesson that is gained in this project, they are also gaining skills with the Exacto knife. I am always VERY cautious when using these, and give a big speech at the beginning about how they shouldn't pretend to cut their friends, or themselves, or their clothes... etc... (basically the same speech as the one about permanent markers with the little guys). They have all caught on really well, and I haven't seen blood yet so far!

(Choral Reading went well today... more on that tomorrow, along with photos from today's lessons!)

~Mrs. C!

1 comment:

  1. I have seen the end result of the bugs! they aqre great! Love the work Mrs. Colson does with these students!

    ReplyDelete